Formed in 1956, we are associated with National Garden Clubs, Inc. and World Gardening. Our club is designated District IV of the Garden Club Federation of Pennsylvania. As part of these larger organizations, our dues contribute to National Garden Week, Penny Pines Reforestation, College Scholarships, Natural Disaster Relief, World Gardening, and Habitat for Humanity landscaping. We support local organizations by donating to LEADS for a hanging basket in Lancaster City and to Lancaster County Conservancy.
- Contribute to refreshments for one meeting per year.
- Participate with one or more committees.
- Assist with activities to raise money for our local scholarship awards.
- Attend meetings which are the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. from March through December.
- Pay dues of $35/year. ( if join in Sept$25/Oct $20/Nov $15)
- Membership Application
Speakers are invited to our meetings to cover the different types of interests of our members. For example, flower arranging, landscaping, and appreciating the art of the garden are common topics. We try to have a more social oriented light dinner meeting with a unique home gardener in their yard at least once per year.
Listed are the larger committees: Community Projects, Environmental Education, Horticulture, Programs, Scholarship, Ways and Means, Budget, Shoots and Sprouts (junior gardeners of all ages.)
- Fundraiser plant sale in May
- Craft sale in September
- Fundraising bus trips to sites of interest to gardeners -- we always start off in March by going to the Philadelphia Flower Show
- Mid-Atlantic Flower Show
- Maintenance of Blue Star By-Way Marker
- Homestead Village Health Center dining room decorations twice a year and decorating their Activities Room for Christmas
Individual interests and education
We have short topics at most meetings about the environment, growing hints, unusual native or new hybrid plants, and other gardening news. Many of our members are sources of education since they are members of other specialty clubs (Orchid, Herb, Master Gardeners, etc.) Small groups of members participate in carpools to private gardens or nurseries as their time or interest allows.